Sunday, June 23, 2013

Re-Grouping time

So, I'm 3 weeks into another NerdFitness Challenge and I'm getting close to my goal weight.

I really believe I need to start shifting my attention and focus away from weight loss and focus on strength and tone.

I started this weight loss journey 2 years ago at 180lbs. January 2013 I was 176lbs. Today, I'm 148lbs. My original goal was 140lbs which I amended to 135lbs. In the last month the weight loss progress has really slowed down and I think it has to do with me lifting heavier than before.

Honestly I have a bit of a prejudice against that number "135". That's where the BMI scales say I "should" be which  bothers me since they don't take into account ANYTHING about the person other than height, age and weight. As though it's okay for you to fatten up as you age. It's really not!

I'm still eating Paleo, to the point that it kicks my ass every time I have cheese or bread. I was worried for a bit about going out to eat with people while I'm on Paleo. Would they judge me? Would they have to make adjustments for me?  I've found that it really isn't that bad. Namely most of the people I go out to eat with know what I used to look like at 180lbs and see me now, plus most of the places we go out to eat I can find something that is close to Paleo. Don't get cheese on the salad, or dressing or croutons. Get veggies as a side etc.

I have noticed as well that people start conversations with me about my eating habits asking if I have an allergy of some kind. While it's true I was born with a lactose-intolerance, as I grew it has dissipated and I do not have a wheat allergy. What I have noticed is that I am much more energetic without dairy products, without grains and without sugars. I've learned to explain to people that I avoid grains and dairy by choice, which then leads into a health conversation. I'm not really one who likes to talk about what I do or get into the details of why I do something, but it's slowly becoming more of the norm.

The most annoying part is when a co-worker asks what I've done to lose the weight then proceeds to inform me why that won't work for them despite the evidence to the contrary standing right in front of them.

A 300lb man informed me he did not want to lift heavy weights because he doesn't want to get bulky. 1) Bulky is not the first phase of lifting weights, 2) you still have to workout with a plan to get bulky. I ended up walking out of the room and the conversation as the negativity was simply not helpful.

My current bad habits :
Smoking, (5 cigarettes a day), Coffee at work 1-2 cups.

Other than that, it's cleaning my apartment. It is a horrendous mess. Not trash, not food everywhere just empty water cups, clothing places and stuff not put away.

It certainly has started to bother me and I intend to do something about it soon.

Anyways, that's all for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment